Tuesday, November 16, 2010

ready, set, record...

What has two thumbs and wrote a song for the first time in like, 7 years? THIS lameass! Not only that...I've already recorded it. So, y'know, take that, Steely Dan.

Really, though...it's funny because it's so pathetic. No one who has previously written music on a semi-regular basis should sound PROUD of having written one song in this many years. It's embarrassing. But at the beginning of this blog, I said I was going to try to stop putting things off and letting things slide, and music was probably the biggest one of these "things." And it's still November. I swore I'd do it before my next birthday, didn't I? I think I did. I'm too lazy to scroll down to my earlier blog entries, so I'mma just take my word for it.

Writing has long been a way for me to manage the bullshit of daily life. In the past, I've written myself out of seemingly bottomless holes. Not all of the resulting songs were good ones - over the years, I've scrapped many of them. You outgrow them, or they become songs that someone else wrote a long time ago. But some of them have stayed. My challenge now is to find new words to join the old ones so that there's a new cache of music I enjoy playing in public. Playing in public again is a whole other hurdle, though...I'll get to it. One thing at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment