Thursday, September 9, 2010

eeeeeegggggsellent



This week is shaping up to be awesome omelette week here at Chez Arnold. I kinda like when I have the house all to myself when my boy is traveling, because I can come and go as I please, I can clean as much (or, at times, as little) as I want to, and I can cook whatever I want to cook without worrying whether anyone else will enjoy the all-veggie approach. (Miss Ella isn't a big fan of too many green foods...yet!)


All week I've been focusing on omelettes, because I make them so they're low in fat but high in protein and epic yum. I guess I shouldn't really say omelette - it's more a scrambled mess of awesomeness than an actual folded, pretty creation. The above photo is (was) tonight's dinner: egg beaters with fresh spinach, broccoli, mushrooms and onions, and a small handful of gorgonzola crumbles. I paired it with homemade fresh potato crisps baked with a brush of olive oil and some sea salt and ground pepper.


Let me tell you - this shit was the kick. SO GOOD. Cook it with a few sprays of canola oil (for non-fat cooking™, kids) instead of butter, use all fresh ingredients, and you're in egg (beater) heaven. And the potato crisps are badass, too. They're super easy to make, and the only fat in them is a little bit of the good kind. I used to be terrified of even a gram or two of fat (ridiculous, but I think I allowed myself something like 5 grams a day, on a good day) - but the more I read, the more I think I need some olive oil in my world. I use it sparingly, but a little goes a long way.


Every day this week I've made a variation of the above, and every day I've been happy and full without feeling like I ate anything awful. If you're a dessert person (unfortunately, I have a wicked sweet tooth), I recommend something I think I invented - it's a twist on a recipe I found online for low-fat pumpkin pudding. Take some nonfat Greek yogurt (Chobani is great), mix it with some sweetened almond paste (the kind you use for pastries! seriously!), mix in 2 chopped dried apricots, and sprinkle with a little dash of cinnamon. It's filling, it's super sweet, it's low in fat (about 1.5 to 2.5 grams for a small bowl)...and it's totally fucking yumsville. No lie, dudes.


Now I'm going to sit on my butt and work on some music...because I swore I'd get back into that, too, and dammit, I AM.


As a completely unrelated post script, here's a picture I took last week of my husband's extremely high quality butt. You're welcome, guys.

2 comments:

  1. I like the new look of La Blogge--she'sa cute! And your dinner looks totally yumtown.

    Nice fanny, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, thanks. I figured I should try to make the place look a little more respectable.

    Richard will kill me for posting that, btw.

    ReplyDelete